[IP] (no subject)

>>Those of you have children on the pump....do any of you feel it's not
necessary to use EMLA or equivalent when using the Sof-serter?  We're
trying to get better prepared for pumping...with options and questions we
may have for our CDE.  Anthony is 11 and has an ample supply of body fat in
his abdominal area.<<

My daughter Sara, who is 9 years old has been pumping since August 1999 and
we never started using the EMLA cream...our endo and pump representative
suggested that it would be better if we didn't start.  My thoughts were that
if she was willing to use the Sof-serter without it, it would be less
trouble.  She was very frightened the first couple of times, the sof-serter
is a sort of an ominous device, but now she sails right through insertion.
We've got it down to 10-15 minutes which includes me filling the reservoir
with the insulin and getting the bubbles out!  She rotates her sites, tummy,
on both sides of the belly button and buttocks, both sides.

A comment on tummy injections.  When first dx'd (4 1/2 years ago), she would
only do her injections in her upper thighs or sometimes in her arm.  This
resulted in "walnuts" developing and her endo telling her that she HAD to
start rotating her sites because the decrease in insulin absorption.  She
started doing tummy injections during diabetes camp, because of the
encouragement of the counselors and also seeing other kids doing it (peer
pressure wins again!).  She is now a "belly buster"!  Diabetes camp will be
interesting this year because it will be the first time for her with the pump
and also for many kids.  Our peds endo just started prescribing pumps this
past summer after camp.  Our daughter was THE first pumper!

Pat, mother to pumper named Sara