Re: [IP] air in tubing

In a message dated 1/16/00 7:46:40 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< I noticed 3 air bubbles ranging from 1/4" to 1/2". Should I worry about
this or what? >>

It's easy to prime bolus them out if you can quick-release the infusion set.
An inch of tubing represents approximately 0.5 units of insulin, so if you
are at all insulin-sensitive, it could make a difference in your control.
(But if that seems a trivial amount compared to your hourly rate, don't worry
about it).  You can wait till the bubbles are near the quick-release site if
you don't want to waste insulin.  Are there bubbles in the reservoir?  They
can be caused by drawing up insulin that hasn't come to room temperature.  If
that is the case and you have a pretty full reservoir, you might want to
disconnect it from the tubing and debubble it by drawing the plunger down and
tapping it with a pen or something till the bubbles coalesce at the top and
then pushing them out, then pushing through new insulin through the tubing
till you are free of bubbles.

But before doing anything else, make sure they actually move when insulin
passes through the tubing.  The inner and outer walls of the tubing can come
apart slightly in a way that looks like an air bubble but actually isn't, and
is not a problem.

Linda Z