Re: [IP] Diabetes and ADHD

In a message dated 1/16/00 11:17:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted

<<  I was thinking that since it was a stimulant (like
 Ritalin) that perhaps it is working in his system like exercise would??? >>

Kap has used retalin and slow released retalin - but has been on adderall for
over a year.
Kap gets hyper (drunk) with high blood sugars - everything is funny.
And is loving w/ lows. (Wants a hug often.)
With other meds he was like having PMS 10 fold - emotions were everywhere -
therefore B/S were everywhere.
With Adderall - you cant tell from his attitude when it goes in and when it
stops working - except he is focused on details without side effects of
rebound or uptake in his system.
However, I was very concerned w/ adderall and the side effect of him not
eating his lunch at school when he was using nph to peak a lunch.  Since we
cut out nph at lunch and use Humalog with every meal - Wow, he is eating
So i now contruibute the lack of desire for food at lunch to nph and not
adderall.  It doesnt make sense but that is life -
NPH took his desire for food away - not Adderall.
Kap had an reaction to nph 2  times (hives) - and i still wonder if he just
didnt get immune to its effect or something - cause it never worked in his
body the way it was suppose to work.
Humalog will snap those blood sugar into line everytime without fail - almost
to the exact # - off by a couple of points.  Or will hold him in good range
w/o highs.
Living and Learning
Mom to Kap - age 9
soon pumping insulin on 1/19