Re: [IP] Re: Breaking up because of DM

At 03:37 PM 1/15/00 -0500, you wrote:

>  > From: email @ redacted
> > Subject: Re:  [IP] depression and diabetes
> >
> > My depression, in some ways, is directly related to diabetes.  It started
> > when a boyfriend I thought was very special dumped me because I'm
> > diabetic. He wasn't man enough to say this to me, he made up some
> > lame excuses that I knew weren't true and it took a month or two for
> > me to realize what really happened.  My friends had figured it out long
> > before.  He could never handle seeing needles (before I was on the
> > pump), and I think he thought my doctor suggesting the pump meant
> > I was in really bad shape. It really scared him
> > Kristin
>  I had a guy break up with me because I would never be able to give him a
>son. My natural-born son (well, induced labor) will be 38 in March; the
>guy's adopted son will be 30-something. <gr>
>Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)

Happens on the male side too. Engaged twice, 5 year relationship once,
unknown other encounters. One engagement and the long relationship ended
after lengthy questioning about diabetes. They both decided that was not
one of the qualities they wanted in a husband. In the other engagement the
parents never liked me and had numerous objections to us marrying. The
clincher was, after we married there would be children (one of the few
things we agreed on) and the possibility of their having diabetes, they
didn't want that in the family. What could you do except click your heels
and raise your right hand.

Jim  - IDDM since Oct. 1961, started pump 12/28/99