Re: [IP] the implantable pump! - Gianna

One advantage of the implantable pump is that people with allergies to
insulin may
do better.  Other than that I really can't think of another advantage of an
implantable pump.  What if it breaks?  You just can't send it
back......surgery is required again.   What about filling the pump?  You have
to go to the doctor's office and they use a long needle to fill the pump.
Then there is this big bulge on one side of your stomach.
I know a guy that received an implantable pump about 8 years ago.  He had
this beer belly on one side of his stomach and was flat on the other side.
Looked kind of strange. Back then we didn't have Humalog so you could argue
that the insulin could be absorbed faster with the implantable pump but that
is a moot point now.  This guy would have to go into the hospital every three
months to get his pump filled.  There were a couple of other problems that
other patients had that received the implantable pump from it not working
properly to the tubing getting clogged (this was about eight years ago).   I
really don't see any advantage to implantable pumps (except for those with
insulin allergies) and a whole lot of potential problems.   Just my