[IP] the implantable pump!

Hello all IPers . . .I know a person who participated in Minimed's
implantable pump trials and he sent me some info on what it was like.  I
thought you might like to read it, it sounds very promising.  (keep in mind
that this is not info from Minimed. So I don't know how accurate the dates
are.) enjoy! :

<< I am on a 507c.  I have been on a pump since 1989, back on the external
pump since January 1999.   My third external pump was explanted last
January.  I actually had three implanted pumps.  The first was implanted in
1991.  After about a year or so
there were some telemetry problems with that pump.  The battery on my
second one lasted 29 1/2 months, which was a good thing.  MiniMed
guaranteed the battery for 30 months, so I slipped in just under the wire
and was able to get my third pump.  The battery in that one lasted about 40
months. When they finally do get FDA approval and take it to market, they
will have a 7 or 10 year battery.  I loved the implanted pump.  I was able
to golf approximately 1 month after the first surgery.  I was back out on
the course in about a week and a half after the next two.  The 2nd and 3rd
pumps were done under local anesthesia.  I would do it again if the pump
were available
in the market.  the reason for the delay in FDA approval is not the pump
itself, it is the insulin.  The insulin is U-400 and needs to be stored at
body temperature since it is inside the body.  There have been a number of
manufacturing set backs, however it appears as if the appropriate data can
be submitted mid 2000 and hopefully approval should be some time late 2000
or early 2001.  The pump holds about 5500 units of insulin which is about a
5 month supply for me.  However, due to FDA protocol, I had to be refilled
every six weeks.  I liken the refill to an oil change.  It was a sterile
procedure.  The pump has a portal on top.  The doctor places a template on
top of the pump area to locate the portal.  A small guide needle is inserted
into the portal (not painful at all).  the old insulin is removed, the
pump is rinsed, and the new insulin is put in.  Total time is approximately
20 minutes.  As far as operating the pump, there is a remote control
communicator that is held over the pump location,
you program in your basils and boluses, push a button, and 25 seconds
later the communication is complete.>>

	Doesn't that sound interesting??? I can't wait!! --Gianna