Re: [IP] @#$%@@ Chinese????????What about Mexican??

Armsted asked (in all seriousness...):

<< do you have any tips on how to deal with
mexican food and useing dual wave etc.  The fats and cho combinations are
hard to figure. >>

I don't live in the southwest, but do enjoy Mexican food.

The first trick is learning to count the carbs. Familiarize yourself with
how many carbs are in the various sizes of tortillas. The "regular" (about
8 inch diameter) flour tortillas generally have about 25 grams of CHO,
while the big "burrito" style ones have about 35. Keep in mind that most
restaurants will use standard portions for rice and beans, usually 1/2 cup.
For the rice, then, that would be about 20 grams of CHO, and the beans
would be about the same.

The fat in the cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and beans will slow down the
absorption of the carbs. You may need to experiment with what works for
you, but I'll tell you what has worked for me, and you can go from there.
I typically bolus 1/2 the amount at the beginning of the meal, and then
spread the remaining insulin over 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (I do the same with
pizza).  The last time I ate at a Mexican restaurant I used this routine
and came out with a bg around 120 a few hours later.

Good luck, and consider the beano... :-)

Mary Jean