[IP] RE: Recording bs, bolus, carbs

Hi Melissa,

You wrote:

>>I try very hard to manage my bs, and I test all the time, but I HATE =
to record things.  I have an Accucheck Complete, so the readings store =
automatically.  The problem is entering the bolus and carb info with it.  =
I know its not a big deal, but it feels like an enormous hassle, so I just =
dont.  Especially when I dont like my bs readings or I know I m eating too =
much junk... its essentially impossible ot get me to write that stuff =
down.  Then, I panic just before I go see my endo because I know she needs =
info to help me.  DFoes anyone have any ideas?=20>>

I know exactly what you mean. I find that there's a couple too many steps on
the AccuCheck Complete for it not to be a bother, and yet I think it is the
best of the record keeping meters (You can go backward for example if you
accidentally enter in a carb too many.) But since carb and bolus entry are
not automatic like the BG recording is, I find it is just as easy to write
these on paper as punch buttons.

It's not the medium that affects record keeping but the will. I don't have
that kind of will all of the time. But for limited periods of time, I can
muster it -- if I have an objective.

   Hypothetical case: If I were having wacky readings every afternoon after
lunch, I might keep exceptionally good records of everything I eat (the
actual items, not just carbs), my activities and stress factors, any boluses
and of course BGs for the hours leading up to and including the problem
time. I could do that for a couple of weeks.  I'd pack a little record
keeping kit for that period: my meter (naturally),  notebook for the purpose
of recording food information, and diary entries on stress, a food reference
book so I could calculate the carbs, and my-always-with-me-anyway
calculator. Maybe I'd forget and be inconsistent for the first couple of
days but I'd get it down in a day or two. The reward for that would be some
data I could study for a pattern and hopefully -- Eureka! -- a discovery of
what is causing the problem.

     I think the key is to have a research goal, not to just keep records
for the sake of keeping records. Make records a tool not an obligation.

   But that means making yourself the head of the research team, not your
endo. You won't fudge (inappropriate word choice is intentional) your data
if you make yourself the head scientist on this project.  This is not a
slight to your endo, by the way. A good scientist (you) always has someone
else check their work.

Anika, a scribe by fits

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World