[IP] Re: Johanna & other new pumpers!

Hi Johanna and welcome!
I have been on MDI for 22 years and started the pump 6 weeks ago. I also had
frequent hypos and an A1C that 'looked' good. Night time was the worst for
me and I also developed hypoglycemic unawareness.
The needle part for me, hurts less or not at all compared with taking
needles in my abdomen area while on MDI. There are infusion sets that leave
a flexible teflon cannula subcutaneously and I don't even feel it
(Tender/Comforts). BUT, I was nervous at first too, very nervous!
When I first started testing for basals we used the insulin very
conservatively so as not to risk hypos. I knew I would experience some highs
but also understood that was part of the 'fine tuning ' and that eventually
things would get sorted out.
The pump has been great..I have not yet had a low during the night..I can
hardly believe it! On MDI I would have 3 0r 4 a week or be very high all
night..just could not get the insulin timed when my body needed it plus I am
sensitive to insulin...but the pump has made all the difference!
To avoid insulin shock: test often! have sugar tablets and glucagon
available (glucagon for peace of mind!). A great book called 'Pumping
Insulin' by John Walsh, will help you understand how everything works
together. They recommend treating lows with sugar tablets..and the nice
thing is..I don't get the highs and bouncing for hours (or even days) after
a low. I have had a couple of lows (not really bad ones) during the day on
the pump but just a result of my miscalculation of carbs in food. Sometimes
that part is by trial and error. I have also gained back my hypo awareness.
There is a new edition of "Pumping Insulin" expected out soon and it deals
with humalog insulin. The current edition deals with regular insulin but has
a humalog supplement available. If you look under books on the IP home page
there is a link with info about this publication there.
Happily Pumping,
Carolyn :o)

>From: "Johanna Gurganus" <email @ redacted>
I am excited about the prospect but