[IP] Another Approach to Nighttime Basals...

     I know that "basal fasts" are ideally THE #1 method for establishing
proper basals, but I'm also learning that with very young pumpers, that isn't
always very practical. Consequently, some endos resort to setting arbitrary
numbers & then "tweak" the basals from that starting point, hoping to achieve
stable bgs.
    The following scenario was related to me 3rd hand from a friend of a
distant CDE/pumper. I've suggested the person "join" IP, but I believe she's
in transition career-wise. Nonetheless, I thought her input was worth
sharing, especially in light of what I've now come to realize to be a "Pump
Truism: Just because 100 endos predict "X", doesn't mean there still won't be
a sizeable # of pumpers who experience "Y"!!!!......Regards, Renee (Melissa's
pump mom)
     Anyway here's the story: "Several months ago I gave a talk to a support
group on insulin pumps.  One of the families there contacted me with a
problem.  It seems their 10 year old son has been waking up with high blood
sugars every morning for the last few months.  During the day he was well
controlled.  The parents were getting up 2 to 3 times a night to monitor his
sugars.  His pediatric endocrinologist kept increasing his basal rates until
they were almost twice his mid-day dose.

We slowly started reversing his night basal rates, so that he now gets about
.2 more than his mid-day dose.  Instead of 300s to  400s, his blood sugars
started coming down t  the 140s according to the Christmas card they sent me.
 I received a telephone call from his mom yesterday.  His latest A1C was 6.5,
down from 7.7 months ago.

When they go to visit his doctor in a few days, I've requested they explain
what they've done to help bring his levels down.  I don not remember the
physiological mechanism, but if FBS are elevated after a couple of basal
increases, try decreasing the night time basal levels by .1----it works for