Re: [IP] Sad News & a Determined Child

    Thank you for such a poignant post & for underscoring yet again how
ludicrous it is for doctors to set arbitrary age limits. Kap sounds
incredibly mature, as do the vast majority of children I've encountered who
are successfully and responsibly dealing with diabetes, whether on shots or
the pump. In fact, I spoke to a mom yesterday whose 7 yr old started doing
his finger pricks the 2nd day in the hospital ( dx'd at 6) and shortly
thereafter was drawing up his insulin and doing some injections too!! Yet his
medical team dismissed any discussion of a pump, saying, "never before age 10
and rarely even then". I encouraged her to learn all she can ( no computer!!!
eeek!) because I believe a child like hers ( and yours) who is so motivated
and clearly demonstrates the wherewithal to handle pumping DESERVES to reap
the benefits that pumping affords!
    I hope there's a compromise resolution.....The 19th isn't all that far
off & although Kap is disappointed, maybe you can use the interim to "play"
with the pump, even if it's not on him....make up pretend scenarios like "ok
- you're at Joey's house & his mom made brownies, what are you going to
do?".....re-watch the videos, re-read the books, read through the back
digests from IP, re-read the kids stories at Ellen's website <A
HREF="http://members.aol.com/camelsRFun/index.html">CamelsRFun's Home Page</A>
 , etc.....The more Kap knows, the easier the "learning curve" will be when
he finds himself saying "oh yeah Mom - remember we read about that boy who
had this problem too?"....
Regards, Renee ( Melissa's pump-mom)