[IP] Re: Re: Job Denial

In these days of "enlightenment", it would seem that job denial because
of being diabetic would not happen.  I am 52 and have not had problems
lately, but in the past I have had a job taken away from me and another
one denied because of diabetes.  At the time, I tried to fight for my
rights but basically found that I had none.

In the first case, I was hired out of college by a large midwestern
chemical company (whose name for the time being will be left unsaid).
This was my first "professional" job and I was pretty excited about it.
I had informed the company that I was diabetic and they did not seem to
care about it.  The morning after I arrived in the relatively small
Michigan city where I would be working, I had a physical administered by
their medical staff.  With the excitement of moving the previous day
(about 800 miles) and getting ready to start to work, my blood sugar was
about 240 when they tested it.  The next day, the chief medical officer
at the company refused to accept me for employment.  My job was taken
away because my blood sugar was high.  I talked to the doctor, I called
my own doctor, I talked to the human relations people, but they would
not relent.  I was very distressed and felt awful.  But there was
nothing I could do.  I went back home, picked up the pieces and wound up
going to work for another company in a job as good or better than the
one I lost, but the experience left its mark on me.

The second experience was with a small railroad in Arkansas.  I had gone
back to graduate school and earned an MBA with a major in logistics.  I
was interested in railroads but knew that it might be difficult to work
for one since I was diabetic.  One of my professors told me about an
opening that he had heard about with the Arkansas railroad and I called
them to apply.  I spoke with their CEO and sent him a resume.  I was
invited for a visit to the company and did that, having a very good
interview.  The CEO later told me that he would like to hire me but that
because I was diabetic, their holding company would not allow it.  This
time I was prepared for the rejection but still did not like it.  Again,
I found another job that was as good or better, but I still would have
liked to work for the railroad.  Something about the idea of "workin' on
the railroad" appealed to me . . .  But that was not to be.

These incidents occured about 30 and 20 years ago respectively.  I hope
that others are not having to go through these things that I had to
face.  Not much fun, I can assure you.

Bob Goodman
San Francisco Bay Area