[IP] insurance coverage

Hi all! This may be a silly question, but I thought that one of the "good"
things that Clinton did was to pass a bill that requires all insurance
companies, in every state, to provide coverage for diabetic supplies, if that
person was covered in the year preceding the change in insurance. Doesn't
that mean that whatever new insurance one has, cannot exclude b/c an of
preexisting condition and that they have to cover the supplies? Or is it that
they just cannot exclude from preexisting only?
I know this is silly but I can be clueless when it comes to politics!