Re: [IP] DPT Trial

In a message dated 01/09/2000 5:29:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My understanding is that if a person tests positive for the antibodies
they WILL
 develop diabetes (within about a three year time frame).  If you don't test
 postive, you can keep testing to make sure you stay antibody-free.  If you
 postive and therefore, will develop diabetes, why not start insulin
treatment to
 possibly prevent the full blown disease?  Has anyone else heard this?  Set me
 straight if I'm wrong on this.  We are waiting for results from the test on
 non-diabetic daughter. >>

We had our children tested for the DPT trials and our daughter tested into
the high risk group. First, the testing is invasive in and of itself. Second,
the reason you SHOULDN"T start a child on insulin before they have diabetes
is the risk of hypoglycemic unawareness(one of the things the trial study
checks for everytime you go up). It seems that people on these extremely
early doses of insulin for prevention can develop brain damage.

In order to be considered for insulin, you are not only ICA positive, but
also have certain genetic markers along with a slower insulin response rate
and antibodies to the insulin itself..so technically you are in early
diabetes anyway. The insulin regime consists of taking shots twice a day, and
being hospitalized for 5 days once a year to be given massive doses of
insulin(in the hopes that this will temporarily shut down the islet cells and
give them a rest)

Our daughter was in the control group for over two years. Every three months
we went up and had an IV tolerance test done(with an IV in her arm all
morning) along with bi-annual intelligence testing(for brain function,as a
baseline measurement for the kids on insulin). I found the whole thing pretty

When she started getting elevated bg's, they did nothing. We pulled her from
the study  as soon as she started having 200 bg's.Our private endo put her on
insulin shots. That was over a year ago and she's still honeymooning. The
study was "monitoring"her to watch how the disease progressed. BTW..we caught
the high bg's at home..she just didn't look right to me and I insisted she
check..The study will NOT release any results to you whatsoever.

Anyway, if you do decide to get screened and it comes back postiive, have
your endo aware of the situation and monitor the other child. Starting a
diabetic as soon as SAFELY possible on insulin can make a world of difference.

Take care,