Re: [IP] Re: JOB Denial

Hi All -
You're probably NOT going to like my e-mail, but it actually happened.
I was a kid, newly diagnosed, and needed a summer job, other than camp
counselor.  I applied at my father's company then, B&O Railroad.  I knew
when the examing physician lit up his pipe, that the news was bad.  He
said - the railroad can't hire diabetics.  I said why?  I'm not going to be
driving any trains; nobody's life will be at stake!  This was a summer-only
position.  Later in life, I tested for a 911-operator position (a friend of
mine, checking on the records, told me I had tested at Number One!) Still
when I went for the medical portion of the interview, I was told - diabetics
CAN'T work shift work!  And was denied the job.

I thought about writing to him years later, when I was working
middle-of-the-night shift work for the Defense Department - what about
this?????  I am working shift work and defending your country?????  Keeping
you safe to be biased against diabetics?  I didn't, but the thought still
crosses my mind for both of them.  It doesn't take long to learn about
prejudice against diabetics.

Fight back!  Good control and perseverance are our best friends - if you
don't have good control, then GET IT!!!!!!  It's your only ally.  Period.

Best of luck!  Jane