[IP] Re: Primary Care docs and pumps

Hi Laurie.... I say ENCOURAGE IT!  There is no reason why a good PCP can't
prescribe & assist patients in managing pumps!  Especially since the most
important members of any team are the patient and the CDE/pump trainer.  The
educational component is key.  My personal feeling is that the "enthusiasm"
that you mention on the part of the docs is a valuable commodity.  In my
area, we have a number of excellent primary's who are managing pumps just
fine.  I think you will find that if they can manage MDI, which these PCP's
that I am speaking of do quite well... they will do just fine with pumps.
YOU will be the main ingredient in the proposal anyway!  A lot of physicians
have difficulty releasing that much control to the patient.  That is
probably one of the hallmark's of a good pump physician... I have an "angel
endo" in Providence, but you can bet that I'd have seen a enthusiastic PCP
as well.

	There was an excellent feature article on this very topic in Clinical
Diabetes Vol. 17, #3, 1999  "A Primary Care Approach to Continuous
Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion".  May prove helpful to you.  Hooray to
MiniMed for providing educational support for this!  Good luck to you and
the team!

Delaine M. Wright, MS, CDE

>Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 20:32:47 -0500
>From: Michael R Chesher <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] Primary Care docs and pumps
>... In our clinic we have several pts who are interested in the pump
and Mini Med seems to think that PCP's can handle this fine. I have been
to a Pump trainer seminar and hope to have that Certificate soon. Since
I had very little support when starting the pump I'm not sure if a PCP
is appropriate. Several of the docs are quite enthusiastic about it
however, and want to meet with MiniMed to learn more about it. Any input
is appreciated.
Thanks, Laurie