[IP] Generic insulin

I have a question about insulin not having a generic.  It seems that insulin
is an "old drug," and should have the patents run out and a generic
available.  How long can companies keep the drug to themselves?  It is a
hardship to many to have to pay such a high price for insulin.  I realize
that Humalog may still be restricted but the others NPH, Regular, and Lente,
etc. have been around for years.  Also, the price goes up constantly.  I'm in
a Medicare HMO and Medicare does give insulin to diabetics, then why am I
charged for a name brand prescription co-pay of $15.  New this year.  I would
appreciate anyone explaining this to me.
Thanks.    Ellie
PS  I had no co-pay up to this year.