Re: [IP] FW: pizza and hyperglycemia

No results yet.  The study just started the first part of December.  It is a
6 months study with approximately 25-30 participants.  We are divided into 2
groups with 3 months access to in-home computer internet services.  We are
given iMac computers and a Hewlett Packard Deskjet printer.  We are then
given 1 day of instruction on using the computer and then are sent home to
do what we want.  The "home page" is set up from U of Iowa with lots of info
about diabetes and links to other sites.  We can also e-mail each other and
have a forum set up to discuss diabetes issues.  At the end of three months
we will turn over the computer to the other group and then continue with our
diabetic education as we "normally" do.

Most of us are located in and around Grinnell, Iowa, which is about 75 miles
from the University.  One of the objectives is looking at a rural area to
determine if technology can help with diabetic education.

By the way, the study is sponsored by the National Library of Medicine.
Like I said, I am a computer "junkie" and have learned so much using the
internet so I am anxious to see results.

The make up of the group varies in education, profession, age, computer
savvy level . . . it is really a mixed group and I don't know if they are
going to look at the make up of the group.

One of the factors they are going to use is Hba1c.  Everyone was tested
pre-study, will be tested again at the 3 month mark and at the end of the
study.  There was a knowledge written test at the beginning of the study and
we will have another one at the end of the study.  Plus an interview at the

I'm really enjoying he study and hope the results are positive.  I do know
that on training day there seemed to be lots of people who had no computer
knowledge at all.  Should be interesting.

I am anxious to get started in my "quest" for the pump.  This is a great
site and I look forward to learning more.

There is one other person, Brent Jaeger, who is also participating in this
study (he is in the second group for computers) who is also a member of this
group.  He is also considering a pump.