Re: Thanks! (Was: RE: [IP] re: Disetronic Pump?)

email @ redacted writes:

<< >email @ redacted >>
At the risk of all the mail this may generate, I feel I need to add a few
things to this  question.
I am a physician who also has a daughter on the pump (its a mm). I knew
nothing about the pump when she started, having very little experience with
them then. Now, I do try to get as many patients as the insurance companies
let me, started on the pump. My patients go to the Diabetic Treatment Center
here in town, as I did with my daughter, for all their education and
training. The pump gets ordered by the CDE (an RN) and not me. She
demonstrates the various pumps to the patient and also has to go by what the
insurance approves. I have no idea what pump the patient is on until they
come back to see me.  If anyone is getting "a kickback" its the insurance
companies not professionals. Most doctors, I believe, are trying to help.
It bothers me when the general public have the perception that doctors are
all out for a buck. To put things in perspective, I was a nurse 1st, went
back to med school and gave up a good job (and money), and now have
$140.000.00 in loans to be paid back.
I certainly did not do this for the money! We have insurance companies
dictating what we can do for our patients, what we must write down, what we
can order, etc.
If we do not do things as Medicare wants us, the" insurance police" can come
down, charge us with fraud, and literally throw us in jail.
I am sorry this went on but I think it is good for all of us, including
myself, to hear the other side once in a while.
I think the discussion of the types of pumps is beating a dead horse at this
point. We all learn by experience and pump problems, whether d or mm, fall
into that category.
Thanks for letting me add a few more thoughts.
(Mom of Cara, age 14).