Re: [IP] Re: fat ..... and protein! - an explanation

Thanks for you discovery Delaine.   Although this effect of protein likely
adds to that which is converted to sugar,  I still think there is some
independent effect of the fat.  The idea that fat may increase insulin
resistance is attractive, and I might try to expermenet on myself to see.
It's an easy experiment.  Get up, measure BG, and if its 110-140, eat a
single slice of bread with black coffee.  Bolus for the bread exactly plus
an extra unit. Measure BG in 2 , 4, and 6 hours later, with no additional
food.  On another day, do the same thing, except load up the toast with as
much butter as I can stand to eat without retching.    Then to be
scientific, I'll do this each way 3 times.  My bet is that with the fatty
bread, my 6 hour BGs will be 50-100 points higher.   This is a nice
experiment, because there is no protein involved.

	"A rise in blood amino acid concentration (protein breakdown)
BOTH glucagon and insulin secretion.  If during absorption of a protein-rich
meal the rise in blood amino acids stimulated only insulin-secretion,
hypoglycemia might result.  Because little carbohydrate is available for
absorption following consumption of a high-protein meal, the amino
acid-induced increase in insulin secretion would drive too much glucose into
the cells, causing a sudden, inappropriate drop in the blood glucose level.
However, the simultaneous increase in glucagon secretion elicited by
elevated blood amino acid levels increases hepatic (liver) glucose
production.  Since the hyperglycemic actions of glucagon counteract the
hypoglycemic actions of insulin, the net result is maintenance of normal
blood glucose levels during absorption of a meal that is high in protein but
low in carbohydrates."
	In english, *lol* - rising amino acid levels (from protein
breakdown) cause
the liver to release glucose.  In the non-diabetic state, this would be
protective from hypoglycemia.  In the diabetic state, we are all too
familiar with the results.  I feel SOOOo much better just KNOWING this!  It
doesn't solve the problem, but it explains a LOT!
~Delaine M. Wright, MS, CDE