Re: [IP] re: mixing insulins...another question

In a message dated 1/5/00 3:45:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted

<< So, the R worked fine, in
 a 1 to 5 ratio. >>

I have what may seem like a silly question, but here goes....  We just began
mixing H & V for my son about a month ago.  His numbers were always higher
day 2 of a site and his ups and downs were hard to control.  I must say that
since the H/V mix, his numbers have been WONDERFUL!  Our endo and CDE had not
mixed before but supported our request.  We use the 1:5 ratio, and here's the
question that's been bugging me.  We use the MiniMed 507c.  When I draw the
insulin, we do the H first then the V.  Now....Since the neck of the
reservoir gets filled up too, I kind of "add" some V to the actual 1:5 ratio,
to account for the "extra" H in the neck of the reservoir to try to keep a
"true" 5:1 proportion.  Is this correct?  It's been working just fine and
Steven has had some of the best and most consistent numbers he's had in
looooooong time, so we must be doing something right.  I just wanted to see
how others are handling this.

        Since starting the H/V mix, he's had days where his numbers hardly
vary more than 30 points the whole day......I'm so amazed and thrilled at how
consistent it's been from day to day.  Any other suggestions about mixing
would be appreciated too.  As I said, our endo and CDE are supporting us as
best they can, but we're all kind of learning it together, so any advice from
the group is welcomed.