Re: [IP] Re: fat

> Susan, you are right that the fat slows the absorption of carbs, but
> based on most everyone's experience it does much more than that.
> You can exactly figure out how many carbs are in 2  slices of pizza,
> and if you just bolus to cover that amount, square wave or not,
> it's a certainty that your BG will be high in 4 - 8 h.  I've tried
> to get some information on this from my endo but he justs quotes the
> dogma that fat "slows" things down. Someone needs to take a closer
> look at this important question.

It is not the fat that causes the rise later it is the conversion of
the protein in the cheese into carbohydrate. The more the cheese, the
bigger the bg rise. The difference is particularly obvious when
eating pizzaria pizza vs super-market frozen pizza. the super market
stuff is really skimpy on the cheese and causes very little late rise
in bg's -- all pizza is not created equal. You could figure out what
the late carb content is, but it is easier just to record the info
for a given amount of your favorite pizza and the next time adjust
the bolus/duration appropriately.