[IP] generic substitute for ELA-Max or EMLA

I just tried to purchase ELA-Max at the pharmacy, but was told that it is no
longer covered by BC/BS of North Dakota and is considered "over the
counter." A tube of ELA-Max that used to cost us $12 will now cost $34. The
cream is the only thing my 10-year-old son will use to insert his tenders.

Here's the question. The active ingredient in ELA-max cream is lidocaine
(4%). If I find a generic ointment with lidocaine (5%), will my son get the
same results? The cost on the generic ointment was two 35-g tubes for $8.

Joyce Riske