[IP] Ecstatic over HA1c

I just had to share my good news with the list.  My last HA1c in October '99
was 7.9.  On Nov 3rd, I started using an insulin pump.  My endo did both an
HA1c and a fructosamine test on Dec 20th.  I was a little worried that my
HA1c would be higher after reading that it sometimes is after starting on
the pump.  This is due to the leveling out of previous low's which brings
the average BG up, even though you are experiencing better control.  To my
surprise, my HA1c was 6.2 out of a normal range of <6.5!!  This was after
pumping only 6 1/2 weeks.  My endo did the fructosamine to see what the
results were for the last few weeks.  The result was 2.1 on a normal range
of 1.6 to 2.6.

Before using the pump, I frequently suffered lows during the night and often
rebounded in the 300 or 400's within 24 hours.  Fortunately, I no longer
have those low's at night.  In fact, except for the recent holidays, my BG's
have improved dramatically.  The only drawback is that I have gained some
weight, but my endo thinks I will lose it over time since I am using about
6 - 10 units less a day.  Switching to the pump was the best thing I could
have done.

Kathy Greifzu
Type 1, 29 years