[IP] Is that really " diet?

A speaker at a IDDM conference recommended we always test our "diet" drinks.
I found that if my sugars at home run unexplainably high, it is sometimes
that the bottle of "diet" isn't.  I call Coke's customer service number and
get help on how to identify lot numbers.  This doesn't happen often, but it
is something to be aware of.  Also, not all regular sodas have sugar in
them.  So if you can't correct a low, maybe the soda is really a diet.

Sometimes the waiters and waitresses don't know anything about diabetes, and
think it is not important to let you know that the "diet pump was empty, so
I brought regular soda." They may think you are on a reducing diet and it is
only a few calories, your eating all those potatoes, etc. I explained the
reason I was requesting a different drink to our waitress once. She had no
idea that there could have been a medical reason for the request.  She
mentioned it to the other servers, and the manager overheard.  He asked some
questions and posted a sign on the drink dispenser.  "No substitutions
allowed without permission from the customer.  There are medical reasons for
requesting diet and/or caffeine free sodas."

As always...customer beware.