Re: [IP] Disetronic questions

>>1.  Why did you choose the Disetronic pump?

Waterproof. And the spare. I frankly don't expect to swim with it. And I
hope I don't need the backup. But One Never Knows.

>>2.  What are the three things you like best about the Disetronic
 See above. I'm using the Tender because I prefer the disconnect feature,
but I've been told that one can use either D or MM sets with either pump. I
have no comparison about relative duability between pumps, but I will pas
this tale along. When I was getting my initial training 10 days ago, my
wife asked a question related to how hard you can knock the pump to get
bubbles to the top of the cartidge pre-priming. And the D rep TOSSED HER
SAMPLE PUMP ABOUT FIVE FEET ACROSS THE ROOM.  Then walked over, grabbed the
tube and bounced the unit as she walked as if she were waling the dog with
a yo-yo. I was impressed. Frankly, I wouldn't be stunned to leard the MM
can take a pretty good pounding, too. I find it reassuring that the
technology is so robust.
>>3.  What are the top three things you would change about the
>Disetronic pump?

I guess the square-wave thingie, though I can do much the same manually
with the D. I haven't yet found a reason to wish for a backlight. And a
remote is one more thing to have to carry. T'were I of a gender or culture
where purses were appropriate, I might not mind that, though.

>>4.  What do you think of the customer service provided by the
>Disetronic company?

Both D and MM's reps were fine to work with during my decision process. One
I decided, D's insurance folks took care of all the heavy lifting in about
2 weeks over Thanksgiving. No complaints.
>>5.  What advice would you give to someone selecting and just
>starting to use a pump?

Do Your Homework!  And that just starts after you make the decision about
the brand. I had read Pumping Insulin a couple of times, read both the D
manuals and watched the training video twice before going in for the Big
Day. I can't imagine how confused and overwhelmed I would have been
otherwise. BTW, unlike some  on the list, I started with the Good Stuff
right away, rather that doing saline for a while.

I was exactly in this position two months ago. And I decided that either
pump would be better than injections.It seems like a difference analogous
to the Ford-vs-Chevy debates that go on in Auto-space. Both are good
machines. It's a matter of which bell and/or whistle you find to be
important. For me the D's extra waterproofing and spare pump added up to
peace of mind. And going on the pump is enough of a psychological burden --
no matter the advantages -- that I decided anything that gave me more peace
of mind going in was a good idea.

So far, pretty good.

Jeffrey Weiss
email @ redacted