Re: [IP] Re: Angina treatment--youngsters may skip

In a message dated 1/31/99 3:53:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted

<< Having seen heart disease listed in many of your intros, I thought I might
 take a stab at this here before calling my doctor tomorrow.
 Yesterday I had one of those stressful days where I ended up with angina
 My instructions (which I believe are pretty standard?) are to take up to 3
 nitro tablets, and if the pain continues, to call 911 or get to a hospital.
 Well, I "knew" things would improve when my (week longer than expected) house
 guest actually left (her friend had arrived to take her), and my pain left
 followed by a feeling of well-being within about 20 minutes of her leaving.
 But that was indeed about 30 minutes after the 3rd nitro tablet (although I
 was feeling better before then).
Have any of you had trouble with nitro tablets being slow to act because of
the diabetes and had success with other forms of nitro or other drugs for
angina?  I wondered if there were other things I could bring up with the
cardiologist, and if my suspicion about it being a diabetes problem (I have
read various places that diabetes can decrease sensitivity to nitro) has any
 Linda Zottoli
 dx 1955 at age 8
 pumping since 10/98 >>

Following my 2nd heart attack last March (first was a silent one), my
cardiologist has me carry Nitrostat 0.4 pills with me to put under my tongue
as needed.  He also recommended I wait 5 minutes between pills to give it time
to make any changes.  Then, after 5 minutes, if no changes, take another.
Sometimes, I'm sure the added anxiety brought on just by having an angina
episode could possibly contribute to how long it takes to get over it.  Maybe
this is what was going on?  I know we can become less able to feel pain right
away due to long term diabetes, but don't know about diminished effects of
Nitro.  At any rate, I would definitely tell your cardiologist about what

Linda Winey  >^.,.^<
dx 1950, age 3
happy pumper since 1/13/99  ;o)