Re: [IP] reduced basal after exercise

Neal: I am a swimmer (laps) and I found that 1) I eat at 5pm and swim at 8pm..I
eat high carbs and take a bolus to match..2) at 8pm my BG is around 13 -15; 3) I
check BG at 8:30 after warm-up and it has dropped to around 8; 4) after swim I
check again and BG should be around 5; 5) I bolus 5 units of H as my BG rises
after excerise and that seems to level it off..by 10pm.. BG is normal..but I had
to play around with it.. when I go for walks, etc.  excerise that is not
streneous, I just cut my basal in half for that period..no problems so far.. I
haven't ventured out to do any cross country skiing yet.. I'll have to
experiment with that one..LOL!  That's how I have been handling excerise..

Neal & Kara wrote:

> New exercise regimen:
>  I am trying to run/bike/stairmaster 1/2 hour every day from 2-2:30.  Since
> I eat lunch at 11:00, most, if not all, of my lunch bolus (H) is out of my
> system when I begin.  Beginning with a good (80-120) sugar, I have been
> setting a temp basal for 0 1/2 hour before exercise, drinking a 1/2 pint of
> milk, then exercising, and then keeping the basal to 0 for increasingly
> longer periods of time after the workout ends.  Hourly post-exercise testing
> indicates that I do not not experience a rise in BG until 2 1/2 hours after
> the end of the workout, meaning that I've gone 3 1/2 hours without any
> insulin whatsoever.  It also appears that if I wait to see a rise in the BG
> (2/12 hours post-workout) before resetting to my normal basal, I go too high
> before dinner.
> This is an experiment in process.  Anyone have any comments/experience they
> care to share?
> Neal

begin:          vcard
fn:             Pat and Dave Springall