[IP] Re: USA Today article

I read the article.  It is all about a young man who has complications (eye and kidney problems) who wants a pancreas transplant.  He seems to think that this is his only alternative.  I think all of the information is true in it, but why wasn't this guy given an opportunity to go on a pump?  They seem to have really under-reported that aspect of treating the disease, which I think is a shame.  They seem to want to go for the most dramatic scenario, (i.e.  will he live or will he die?) instead of giving him a better tool for controlling it.

I think it is good to give out more information to the general public about Diabetes, so people understand it better, but the doctor saying that the young man "should have had this (transplant) a long time ago," is a little bit of an overstatement considering the risks involved.  There are VERY FEW risks involved in using a pump (certainly not a 20% mortality rate), yet this is shown in the article as just another small development in giving injections.

Just my thoughts.