Re: [IP] Still High

At 07:24 AM 1/26/1999  Ginny Kloth wrote:
>2 1/2 days on MiniMed pump. Blood sugars have not been under 250 since. I
>changed the set up once and went to bent needle. Yesterday my BGs were 258
>I got up- THis AM they were 253. The highest they go is 300. I don't know what
>is wrong..

First of all make sure this is not a set problem. Change sets and see if
that makes a difference. Otherwise, I would suspect that your basals are
set wrong. I don't know if there is a difference in the way MM and D
calibrate their basals or not, but I'd try raising the basals 0.1 at a time
until things start to look better. Changing insulin bottles couldn't hurt,
either... if you use Humalog, it is apparently more susceptible to heat
than other types.

You mentioned the speed at which the MM delivers insulin... yes, from what
I understand, it is slower in bolus delivery. I don't think the minute or
two difference will make any noticeable difference in you BGs. But, I find
that to be an advantage. I've punched in the wrong amount before, the
little bit of time it takes to deliver can be a life saver, because you can
go "oops" and fix it before it's too late.

Let us know what happens.