Re: [IP] hypoglycemic seizures

Celia McInnis wrote:
> Some questions for you Wayne (or any other physiologically knowledgeable person):
> 1. Couldn't the seizure result from the speed or acceleration of the bg drop in
> the brain itself rather than just the instantaneous bg level in the brain?

Yes, but we need to also understand that the bg level in the brain is ALWAYS
lower than in the body.
> Or, 2. Does the body have protections in place that tend to make brain bg levels
> more static than blood bg levels? (Maybe even some storage system such as muscles
> have?).

No, there is NO storage directly for the brain. It can be supported by glycogen
elsewhere, but that is usually slow.
> 3. Is there really a single brain bg level (or do the working brain cells take in
> and use glucose on a more independent basis?).

Not sure.
> 4. How much time might it take to have glucose diffuse from the blood stream into
> the brain cells? What sorts of things might slow or speed up this rate?

It's very fast. That's why brain and nerve cells can do what's needed, there's
nothing to do besides get the sugar into the cells and use it.

> 5. Might really rapid drops in blood bg level be the result of the brain sucking
> up some much needed glucose?

It's a fairly constant rate of use as I understand it. Muscles vary in needs,
the brain
just keeps going at a fairlky steady rate, though sleep vs waking may have
different levels.

> I don't think that I have ever had a full-blown seizure, but I certainly have had
> many instances of "leg jerks" and other neurological symptoms (I still have this
> problem unless I am very careful concerning exercising soon after a bolus).  I
> have sometimes had these fairly extreme symptoms occur at reasonable blood bg
> levels such as in the 4's (mmol/l) which are in the process of dropping into the
> 2's within 10 minutes (I think that this is fast).

Yes, that's fast. Thing is the body will support the brain first, the muscles
are secondary.
So when we've gone low the boosted bg gets the brain back in order, then gets to
muscles which are likely being supported by their own, slower recovering,
glycogen release.

> One more question:
> Is it possible that humalog/insulin (when peaking) actually prevents the body from
> using fat or muscle glycogen stores for energy? A number of people on this list
> have mentioned having problems with exercising after humalog boluses. Certainly I
> do - and I am well trained physically - with lots of endurance (which I would
> think would mean that I am naturally good at converting fat or muscle glycogen
> into fuel...) . Yet after a meal with a bolus, my system seems to work completely
> differently...

I think the problem is that the Humalog lets the glucose go into muscle cells so
that it overloads things a bit. That's 1 reason I mix 5 Humalog per 1 R in my

Ted Quick