[IP] setting basals for kids

I'd like to hear how other parents of young kids on pumps set their basal
rate profiles.  The book "Pumping Insulin" suggests fasting through a meal,
but these 8 hour fasts seem somewhat unrealistic for my 7 year old.  He can
eat a meal late, and that helps us determine whether the basal rate is
correct or not, but skipping breakfast and eating a late lunch, for
instance, would be very difficult.  Unfortunately, I think his basals will
need to be adjusted frequently, since his body seems to change, even with
fairly constant levels of exercise.  Any hints?
Carol, mother of Michael age 7 and pumping.