Re: [IP] bubbles in reservoir

> Julie Britt wrote:
> I usually leave one infusion set in for 4 days, but I have found that after
> the second day lots of bubbles appear in the reservoir.  I know they were
> there from the time when I filled it, and they are showing up because some of
> the insulin has been pushed out.

No, they appear because the insulin has warmed up (presuming you load the
from a refrigerated bottle), which let's the bubbles come out of solution with

 They aren't very large, they look like
> bubbles in a soda.  The thing that worries me is that there are so many of
> them.  My question is, does anyone else have this problem?

I used to, but now I warm up the insulin bottle by hand before loading the
Then I don't find much in the way of bubbles in the syringe, except the
1 or 2 that escaped notice when loading.

I also hang the pump with the hose pointed downward, any remaining bubbles will
float to the plunger and stay there.

Could they be
> harmful? Any tips on how to get less bubbles in there when I fill the
> reservoir?

The harm is that you inject air rather than insulin, so you underdose without
realizing it. Small amounts of air injected into fatty tissue doesn't cause
any real harm, as it might if in a vein.

Ted Quick