[IP] Re: new potential pumpers et al

<< After reading everyone's
 post and reading some literature on the MM I decided that I would call my
 nurse Monday and have her start working on my insurance so I could get a
pump. >>
1. Order Pumping Insulin book.
2. Check out the FAQs pages at the Insulin Pumper's Home page.
3. Insist on a thorough education and training session. Please note that I
said "and " here.
4. Ask your training team if they have a pump trainer's manual, a book called
"Insights form the Experts" an education manual for professionals, but
sometimes sold to pumpers (or provided by the MiniMed rep).
5.When you get your pump, watch the video, read the user's manual, and then
watch the video again with your pump and tubing, etc. in hand and practice,
practice, practice.
     It will all be worth the time and effort.
6. Once you get started on the pump, keep good records of BGs, CHO counts,
food intake.
7. Relax, relax, relax. (That's an order! hee hee) Don't panic.
8. Get contact numbers of your pump team for emergencies or problems. Remember
that the help line 800 numbers are always with you on the back of the pump
(whichever brand you have).

By the way, I agree (and so does the endo I work with), that fluctuating
female hormones... and other hormones...WILL affect BG control.

Also....if trouble shooting two UNEXPLAINED BGs 2 times in a row, inject the
missing basal and any missing bolus (if needed), change the set, especially if
you put in a new Sof-Set prior to the high BGs. Check urine ketones. Drink
water to flush them out of your system. Check your BG in 1 to 2 hours to see
if your numbers are trending downward.

Have a nice Sunday everyone!
Barbara B.