[IP] "Old" Type I's

The ADA's statistics are that 70% of Type I's are diagnosed before their
21st birthday.  That means that a full 30 % of Type I's are diagnosed at
"old ages".  Just because you're not in the majority doesn't mean it doesn't
happen.  Some type II's can get dehydrated and sick enough at diagnosis to
have ketones, so having ketones at diagnosis isn't a fool-proof criteria,
either.   The only sure-fire way to tell is to measure antibodies to islet
cells, but that isn't commonly done.  Hope that helps.

Nancy Morgan, Jenna's mom