Re: [IP] dating and diabetes

Dear Julie,

I was 19 when a girl I dated all through high school broke up with me
because her parents told her because of my diabetes I would be disabled
early in life and she would need to spend so much of her time as my

She married two years later to a dentist who eventually became her
caretaker.  She developed a disease that rendered her immune system to
be very fragile.  At 35 she no longer could function normally.  She was
so lucky to find such a caring man who has to this day stood by her and
has been her caretaker.

I am 56 years old have never spent one day away from work because of my
diabetes  except the three days in the hospital for my pump.  I run four
miles a day and have a wife who has tested my blood sugar for me when
just out of surgery and is always there for me no matter what this
disease brings to our table.  I also have a healthy 11 year old daughter
who has been taught that people with disabilities must be treated and
respected like everybody else.

I can only tell you that from my experience everything works out for the

Good luck,

Ken Bernstein