Re: [IP] going low w/ pump

>Glenda,  Ted gave you some good answers.  May I also add....you mentioned
>concern over going so low w/ a pump that you would "do yourself in".  Actually
>the chances of that w/ the pump are less.  There is such a small amount of
>insulin "on board" all the time that you don't run as great a risk.  Unless,
>of course, you take a bolus and do not eat!  With MDI a person could have 15
>units on board at any one time.  The trick is knowing when those units are
>going to work.  Yes, theoretically they are supposed to release slowly over a
>period of time but it doesn't always work that way.  They can dump at various
>times and you bottom out.  With the pump you have a slow trickle all the time
>and a smaller bolus w/ meals thus hopefully eliminating those drops.  I love
>my pump and would not give it up for anything.  Like you I debated 2 yrs
>before going on.  Now I wonder why I waited so long.  Good Luck with your
>decision.  LR

To add to this, don't forget that you can also stop the pump at any time.
This is something that you can never do with MDI. Many people, if they are
having a bad low episode, will suspend delivery of basal insulin until the
BG's start to move back into a more normal range.

There are many safety mechanisms built into pumps so they can't over-dose
by running amok. I think the main concern of pumpers is not the lows, but
the highs. Since there is no long-acting insulin hanging around, if you
should stop pumping for an extended period of time you could go into DKA
much more quickly.