Re: [IP] dating and diabetes

> I broke up
>with my boyfriend of 10 months a few weeks ago because of long distance
>problems.  We finally talked again yesterday, and at one point he said
>his parents had told him some time ago that he shouldn't be dating
>someone with a chronic disease.  I was shocked.  These people were
>always so nice to me, and they seemed like good, caring, Christian
>people.  I can understand that they only want to protect their son, but
>that is rediculous.  I could die tomorrow in a car wreck, but they don't
>tell him not to date someone who drives.  Thanks for listening...

I've followed long threads about this subject in misc.health.diabetes.
Dating or finding a mate is a problem for anyone; diabetes or not.

Basicly you shouldn't make any value judgements about yourself based on
others' inability or the using of diabetes as an excuse to break up with
you.  It's there problem.  If diabetes wasn't the excuse; something else
would be!  The right person will accept diabetes as much as he/she accepts
all those (minor of course ;-/) little irritating habits we have.

Many, many of us have had similar experiences where someone uses diabetes
as an excuse to break up.  Again; it's just convenient for them; they'd
break up anyway for another reason if not for the diabetes.

Another problem in dating is that being diabetic adds just one more
insecurity for many of us.  I saw a girl for three months this fall.
Fantastic girl.  I'd have hypos and as I always had before would go hide in
her kitchen and eat until I felt better and returned to bed.  Then she told
me I should just eat in bed and she started prepaing "picnics" for me in
various rooms!  Wow!  She even enjoyed doing whatever it took to make sure
I had plenty of carbs around when I may need them!  Sigh...

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!