Re: [IP] Re: too little to pump? Richard

email @ redacted wrote:
> At 0.3u basal during the night, I went into DKA when the site went bad without
> getting an alarm on my 507C.  Minimed service said it was too small an amount
> to trigger the alarm, but I don't know what the rate would have to be.

Escellent point Linda.  IN the MM book, it says you have to miss between
2 and 4 units to trigger the alarm.  So, it is even more important to
test frequently if you have a low basal rate.  I make sure I test Kayla
before I go to bed (around 11:30) and if the site is more than 2 days
old, I test once during the night, too.

> Another area I have noticed on this list where a small dosage is a bigger
> problem --- lots of people talk about a few tenths of a unit not making a
> difference in terms of bubbles or priming or various other things -- but for
> those of us on small dosages of course it does.  Whether to fill the canula of
> the silhoulette with .5 or 1.0 is more than an hour's basal rate difference,
> and I for one notice if I am disconnected for an hour.

Yes!  You have to play around with the priming feture to see what is
right for you.  The Sils take .75units to fill the canula.  We prime .7
if Kayla is on the low side of normal and .8 if she's on the high side.
YMMV, but it's important to know what works for you - especially if you
have a low basal rate.

Good points, Linda.  Just goes to show how great this list is!

Kayla's mom