Young pumper, was..Re: [IP] insulin-pumpers-digest V2 #755

email @ redacted wrote:
> In a message dated 1/19/99 9:38:19 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> << Does anyone know if there is a minimum number of units of insulin you can
>  be taking  and still use the pump?  When talking to my son's CDE and
>  asking about the pump, she said that because he takes so little insulin,
>  it MIGHT be a problem using a pump. >>
> Hmmmm ... I'm no expert, but it would seem to me that, since the pump (at
> least the MM) delivers in tenths of a unit, that it would be ideal for
> somebody taking minimal amounts of insulin. You can "tweak" that intake *real*
> good with a pump!

Yes, but the thing they worry about is that the basal rate will be so low that
it won't alarm for a plugged hose for HOURS. Of course frequent testing will
warn you anyway, but with a small child that could get problematical.

There ARE many small pumpers around here, and some of them (and/or their
would be better able to answer specifics on this.

Ted Quick