Re: [IP] Dr. Bernstein's Book/ketones

Ellen, I have to say, I do exactly like you and agree with everything you
said (incluing Barbara's comment being true).  These days I just bolus to
get the BG down. In the olden days, I must have just let the BG do
whatever.  I know Barb would slap my wrist if she knew that in my 40 years
of being type I, I've never once checked for ketones :-)  Sometimes I'm
truly amazed I'm still alive.

<<<<<<<Barbara, your explanation is true of course, but the way I see it is
that the
treatment is the same if I have a 300 bg or if I have a 300 bg and ketones.  I
still just take the insulin to bring my bg down.  You did suggest that I might
need to take more if I have ketones, but not much more so I don't know if that
is so relevant.  BTW, if I have 3 high bgs in a row (which is rare), I inject
insulin in a syringe directly into the muscle to get the bg down quickly and
then change all the pump stuff just to be safe.  I would think the ketone
situation would be very important to me if I could NOT get my bgs down.  In
that case, I would probably end up calling the dr.
To make you feel better, I would not advocate this for anyone else.  Not
checking for  ketones has just not been a problem for me---yet.  ellen

Wayne Mitzner
The Johns Hopkins University
615 N. Wolfe St.,  Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel. 410 614 5446,   Fax 410 955 0299