Re: [IP] Why?

Yes.  In addition, b/c of the HMO industry, doctors have more and more
opted for primary care with a specialty in something like diabetes.  As a
result, although diabetes info has grown and grown, most of them learn
older materials and less of them than doctors in the early 80s.  A friend
in med school recently told me she thinks this may be starting to change
again but it will take a while for the fallout.

Add to that the built in assumptions about diabetics:  overweight, unable
to "control" themselves, not terribly smart, poor, not well-educated and
you can guess what happens.