Re: [IP] Correcting High Blood Sugars

In a message dated 1/18/99 6:46:54 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<<I honestly believe that
Humalog has changed the face of type 1 diabetes by enabling diabetics to
consume foods that were once taboo - orange juice, rice, mashed
potatoes, and even table sugar. These are foods with a high glycemic
index which regular insulin cannot handle but Humalog can handle.>>

Guru, I believe you are new to the list -- a few months ago there was a thread
(I believe it was on this list) about some people finding that after a while
humalog does not work as quickly for them as it did at first (and I think some
for whom it never worked quite that quickly).  In my own case, when I first
started injections of humalog last year I found I could cover a breakfast of
cheerios, milk, and fruit quite effectively, but in recent months (on both
injections and on the pump) I find the only way to keep blood sugars under 200
with that breakfast is to bolus at least 15 minutes before eating anything and
to wait an hour after the cereal before eating the fruit.  If I just bolus for
and eat the cheerios and milk, I will be in the 200 range for 2-3 hours before
returning to normal, and with cheerios, milk and fruit I go well above 200
before returning to normal.  Taking enough humalog to prevent the rise is
always followed by a low.   Needless to say, I have been eating other
breakfasts lately when I can {I have been having nausea problems and breakfast
is often a bad time; cheerios, food of my childhood, is one thing I can
usually tolerate, so I am willing to go to some effort to eat it.)

Just wondered if you had any comments or suggestions -- you did offer to
answer questions.  Thanks

Linda Zottoli
dx 1955 at age 8, pumping since Oct 98