Re: [IP] Bernstein's Book

James Watson wrote
>Bernstein uses Humalog extensively (primarily as a fix for
>high bgs).  He also says that he does not like pumps (he
>lists 3 pros including not having to carry insulin vials,
>elegant corrective injections, and temporary basals and 5
>cons including pump failure, having a "large bore needle
>sticking in their abdomens," site infections, severe
>hypoglycemia due to pump malfunctions, and not being able to
>give intramuscular injections for rapid decrease of bg.  He
>says, "In our experience, insulin pumps do not provide
>better blood sugar control than multiple injections."  (p
>252).
>Needless to say, I am not sure I'm going to move in this
>direction.

Needless to say, indeed!  How many of us have suffered "pump failure" or
for that matter "site infection"? Granted, I've only been pumping for 5
months, but I don't think these difficulties will pose the problems that
injections have. The introducer needles seem smaller than the old 24 gauge
I used as a teen. And why can't I give myself an intramuscular injection,
two needles at once against some law? Sorry that Dr. Bernstein's experience
was so disappointing, but as for my part, as long as I watch what I'm
doing, I'm feeling my best in 35 years. And for once I no longer fear going
into a catatonic hypoglycemic reaction.

George Lovelace