Re: [IP] Dr. Bernstein's Book/ketones

<<  I do realize checking for ketones is
 especially important with children.  I really have not had a problem with
 in 30+ years.  I am wondering if you think I have just been lucky or if I am
 living dangerously?  ellen >>
You should check for ketones at any time your BG is over 250 more than 2 times
in a row, anytime you have unexplained hig BG's (over 240-250 range), have
nausea, or have an illness. If ketones are moderate to large, you might need
10% to 20% more insulin to bring down a high. Ketones add to the insulin
resistance already in place when Bg's are over 250.  Ketones occur any time
you do not have enough insulin to meet your metabolic needs. When BGs are high
and not enough insulin, the body will burn fat to make sugar and lead to
electrolyte imbalances ( loss of Potassium from inside the cells, You need
insulin to drive the glucose and potassium back into the cells. When you had
some long acting insulin in your system, ketones were less likely to show up.
When pumping regular insulin, if your insulin delivery stops, then you can be
headed for ketoacidosis in 3 to 4 hours, if you are not paying attention to
your BGs.  Sorry for the length.   Ketones are not just a worry for children,
all Type 1's need to be on guard. Ketosis represents a starvation proces. If
BG's are normal, and ketones are present, then you are burning fat. This may
not be a big problem with someone without DM who wants to lose weight, but
Type 1's need to be careful.
Barbara B.