Re: [IP] RE: Diet Coke Issues

At 04:52 PM 1/15/1999  Ted Quick wrote:
>Gregory and Laurie Dustin wrote:
>> Has anyone heard about the drug Aspertame that is in diet sodas.  This
>> acts as the sweetner.  I recently read an article that states it causes
>> your blood sugars to remain elevated as well as other problems.
>Aspartame raises MY bg level, but I'm allergic to it. Most people don't
>have this problem, a few others have other manifestations from it. For
>instance, my non-diabetic brother gets a minor headache when he has any,
>but that's all.

If you had a mild allergic reaction, it might cause stress to your system.
And since stress raises your BG levels, that might explain it. I've never
seen any change in BGs due to diet soda... and I've had a lot of them.

Just for the fun of it, I've been trying Diet RC Cola, which is made with
Splenda instead of Aspartame. In my opinion it doesn't taste too bad. If
Diet Coke causes people problems try the RC Cola and see if that makes a

>There are a a LOT of scare stories and pseudo-science about aspartame on the
>net. It's generally totally wrong. IMHO.

ICQ #11353385