Re: Subject: Re: [IP] school problems

>>I read your letter.  I am appalled at this school and the gym teacher.  Why
>>the Principal letting this teacher dictate policy?  The Principal was the
>Why?? two words...Teacher's Unions. Every problem we've had at school with our
>son has stemmed from the  teacher's union contract.we had to fight to keep
>glucose tabs, lifesavers, any form of sugar with our son when he first started
>school. seems the teacher's union forbade the teachers from giving sugar to a
>child with D, it was dispensing medication.of course, they got this didn't
>last long:-)

It's not the union per se, but the fear of lawsuits that is driving this.
If the union put this into their contract (not a good idea in my opinion),
it must have been based on a past problem in which a lawsuit was either
threatened or filed. The only reason to put such as silly thing into a
contract is to cover their backsides. So, blame the lawyers first, then the
teachers that hide behind the contract instead of using common sense.

Just my 2 cents.

(I worked in a school district for 14 years)