Re: Subject: Re: [IP] school problems

email @ redacted wrote:
> >I read your letter.  I am appalled at this school and the gym teacher.  Why
> is
> >the Principal letting this teacher dictate policy?  The Principal was the
> >"Boss."
> Why?? two words...Teacher's Unions. Every problem we've had at school with our
> son has stemmed from the  teacher's union contract.we had to fight to keep
> glucose tabs, lifesavers, any form of sugar with our son when he first started
> school. seems the teacher's union forbade the teachers from giving sugar to a
> child with D, it was dispensing medication.of course, they got this didn't
> last long:-)

I'm sorry, but the idea that Teacher's Unions are causing your problems
is simply untrue. Neither the NEA nor the AFT could possibly have any
input into any school district's plan to deal with children's medical
problems. Teachers simply do NOT diagnose or treat health problems --
we're NOT qualified!

Decisions on medical care in schools are made by the district -- which
means the administration. This is required by Federal law. Hopefully,
the district will consult with the child's doctor, and will write a
reasonable plan for the child. The school nurse is then responsible for
ensuring that the plan is carried out correctly.

School rules, such as that forbidding candy in the classroom, are
usually imposed by the school administration, and of course, if the
principal is ignorant of the needs of DM children, he might resist
allowing them to have their glucose tabs. However, the union has NOTHING
to do with that decision.

I'm a high school teacher, and MY school has a rule forbidding  gum,
candy and pop in the classroom. The reason is that kids make a mess with
it -- throwing wrappers and used gum all over the floor and spilling the
pop on the carpet.

On the other hand, I HAVE a diabetic youngster in my class, and HE is
allowed to have a bottle of Coke in his bag, and to drink it if he feels
he needs to. This is in accordance with his medical plan.

My only complaint is that I didn't know he was diabetic for the first 7
weeks of school -- and if I don't KNOW that a child is diabetic, or has
other health problems, how can I behave appropriately if they do
something that seems to violate school rules??

As a teacher, I feel that we both, teachers AND parents, need to treat
each other fairly and with respect and compassion -- parents need to
take the responsibility to TELL teachers about their children, and to
EDUCATE them as to their children's needs, and teachers need to be
willing to accommodate the rules for special cases, and understand WHY
the rules need to be bent.

Type Weird, working on adopting a pump!
mailto:email @ redacted

                      Can YOU find the ugly duckling?