Re: [IP] Someone Explain

At 03:33 AM 1/14/1999  Michael wrote:
>What is the physiology behind this.
>Woke Lily at 2:30 to check her bg's, she'd been a little low when she
>went to bed but ate glucose to counteract.
>At 2:30 her bg was 51. She ate 3 tabs, enough to raise her 70-75 points.
>15 minutes later her bg's were 59. About this time she had a piece of toast,
>12 grams of carbo and also ate 2 more tabs (another 50 pts worth).
>15 minutes later, she felt better but bg's still only 70 so she got up
>for a snack.
>Bottom line, 5 glucose tablets, 12 grams (carbo) of toast and 30 minutes
>later, bg has only come up about 20 points. I've seen this before, but
>never really examined the underlying physiology. Anybody got a good
>explaination. It seems to me kinda like walking on water. Her body is
>somehow forstalling the crash until the last possible moment. I wake her
>and within a few minutes she somehow uses up a lot of residual blood
>glucose or something like that.

This has happened to me a number of times... just the other day I tested at
44. So I whipped out the glucose tabs (6 of them) and got a large handful
or raisins. 30 minutes later I tested at 41... hmmm. So back to the glucose
tabs and this time I reached into a handy box of chocolate-chip cookies...
seemed like a good excuse to me. An hour later I was still at only 64.... a
small glass of apple juice followed. At bed time, about 2 hours later I was
still just at only 105. So far so good... anyone want to guess what I was
at about 3am?? Close to 300 of course. Can't win for losing... bolused and
was OK by the morning. (sigh)

Explanation??  The great diabetic unknown! Just like you get those
unexplained highs, you also get those weird lows. As my doctor says... it's
just the nature of the beast.

(yeah, but those cookies were sure good...)