[IP] Someone Explain

What is the physiology behind this.

Woke Lily at 2:30 to check her bg's, she'd been a little low when she
went to bed but ate glucose to counteract.

At 2:30 her bg was 51. She ate 3 tabs, enough to raise her 70-75 points.
15 minutes later her bg's were 59. About this time she had a piece of toast,
12 grams of carbo and also ate 2 more tabs (another 50 pts worth).
15 minutes later, she felt better but bg's still only 70 so she got up
for a snack.

Bottom line, 5 glucose tablets, 12 grams (carbo) of toast and 30 minutes
later, bg has only come up about 20 points. I've seen this before, but
never really examined the underlying physiology. Anybody got a good
explaination. It seems to me kinda like walking on water. Her body is
somehow forstalling the crash until the last possible moment. I wake her
and within a few minutes she somehow uses up a lot of residual blood
glucose or something like that.

Curious about this.